Wednesday, December 16, 2015

3 Signs You Have Enough of Japan

Tired woman
photo credit: http://youqueen.com/

"When you stay too long in the same place, things and people go to pot on you, 
they rot and start stinking..." 
- Louis-Ferdinand Celine, Journey to the End of the Night

This quote has never been more true to me than this year. I think I'm in Japan long enough that people and this place are starting to "pot on me, rot and start stinking..." Don't get me wrong. I've dreamt of being here. I enjoyed being here. I'm thankful that I came here. But I've been here for quite sometime, it doesn't feel right anymore. 

Maybe you're like. You were once happy to be here but not anymore. Once,this has been your dream but not anymore. And maybe you're asking yourself if you're just having a rough day or it's just really time to move forward. 

These things will tell you that you have enough of Japan: 



1. You're tired of cuteness and the "awesome" Japanese culture. 

You probably fell in love with Japan's kawaii culture and you were probably amazed with their traditions. But now, you just want to see something normal. You're tired of seeing mascots and puppets in every possible place and item. You're sick of hearing grown-up women tryinh to be girls. You're tired of hearing how wonderful Japanese culture is. You also probably want to tell these Japanese that no, their culture, their food and their festivals are not unique. They are not special people. 

If you feel this way, it's time to go. 

2. You don't want to hear Japanese. 

Maybe when you came to Japan, you had high hopes of learning or improving your Japanese. Then you realize how hard the language is and how it's harder to connect with the people. You lost the drive to be understood and to understand. And worse, you just want to hear and speak your language. 

If you feel this way, it's time to go. 

3. You feel suppressed or trapped

Living in Japan may have given you a feeling of freedom. But this was in the past. Now, you feel like screaming and breaking things because you feel so trapped. You're tired of keeping up appearances and smiling at the silliest things. You feel like life is passing you by and there's nothing to look forward to in the next years. You don' t want to watch out for every word and every gesture anymore. You just want to breathe. 

If you feel this way, it's time to go. 

I've mentioned in my previous posts that this will be my last year. Some of my friends were surprised. Japan's a nicer place to live compared to the Philippines. Life is safer here. Money is easier. So why will I leave? 

One reason: I have enough. 

Just like in break-ups, it's not you. It's me. It's not Japan's fault. It's mine. I can't embrace the life here for a long time. I'm too restless for my own good. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...